KTM Powertube Hardtail – Now Reduced – One Remaining
This a great looking and specc’d hard tail from KTM. It is a 2019 bike and we have reduced the price in our end of season sale. We have just a couple remaining.
KTM’s Macina Race is all you would expect from a KTM emtb. It has the Bosch Powertube with the large 500 watt hour battery and Performanceline CX motor. On top of that it is a great spec enabling you to take the bike anywhere confident in the reliability of the components.
The bike is similar but a little better spec’d (and hence more expensive – but not much) than the KTM Macina Action 271.
The Bosch Performance Line CX motor gives assistance of upto 300% of your input. Not only that but unlike some of its competitors it holds the power, is consistent and reliable. We still think that the Bosch motor is leading the rest of the pack.
The battery is the large 500 watt hour battery packed into the PowerTube. This sits neatly in the downtube of the frame. By doing this the battery is essentially invisible, which is really only a cosmetic benefit but looks count! The battery can still be easily removed (with a key) for charging or the battery can be charged in situ on the frame. The range of the battery is about 50 miles. This assumes average use , i.e. different levels of assistance on varying terrain. You could easily get more range by being conservative with the levels of assistance.
As mentioned above, the bike is a little better spec’d to the similar Macina Action 271. The differences are :
- The PowerTube as opposed to the battery on the outside of the downtube.
- Sram 12 speed Eagle gears compared to Shimano Deore 10 speed. The first gear on this bike has 50 teeth!
- Rockshox Judy front suspension, compared to Suntour. Both have travel of 100 mm and can be locked out.
- The display is the Bosh Intuvia rather than the Purion. The Intuvia is in the muddle of the handle bars while the control is separate next to your hand on the grip. The Purion combines the display with the control and is next to the grip. The Intuvia will display a little more information, such as average speed and has a clock.
- Unlike the Macina 271 it does not have a mudguard, but this can easily be added of course.
- This bike is lighter at 21.2 kg compared to 22.1 kg.
As with a number of their bikes this year, the Race is equipped for the easy fitting of lights, mudguards and a rack. The bike is plumbed with cables, connected to the battery so that lights can easily be attached the frame is pre-drilled with necessary holes for the rack and mudguards. KTM call this LFC (Lights, Fender, Carrier) ready and although simple it is a great innovation.
Readers of these pages will know that we are great fans of the KTM cross bikes. Those bikes are for people who want to combine road with off road, perhaps with the emphasis on road. This bike is the off road equivalent for those wanting more emphasis on the off road but don’t want a bike for jumping or crazy downhill.
We have this bike in a 15″ frame only in white and petrol.